question about floppy drive support

I've been having bad troubles with the FDD on my Sparc IPX. Well, I booted
the 2.2.14 a.out kernel from the new testing run of install disks, and
after a fresh install with the old 2.2.1-based Slink disks I can access
the FDD. I slipped a floppy in and could cat it without any trouble.
Then I installed `fdutils' from potato. Accessing the same disk yields

|floppy0: sector not found: track 0, head 0, sector 1, size 2
|floppy0: sector not found: track 0, head 0, sector 1, size 2
|end_request: I/O error, dev 02:00 (floppy), sector 0
|cat: /dev/fd0: Input/output error

and of course superformat isn't working.

Still, it's working better than it was. is there something besides
superformat I can use on the Sparc, or do I just have a funky machine?