Re: ANN: initial sparc potato boot floppies ready for testing

Ben Collins wrote:
> > 3. booting from network+nfsroot (linux-a.out from sun4cdm/ and root.tar.gz)
> >
> > Report: can boot the kernel but was unable to mount the nfsroot fs because this
> >   kernel is not configured for root on NFS ;(( (need CONFIG_IP_PNP=y,
> >   CONFIG_IP_PNP_BOOTP=y, CONFIG_IP_PNP_RARP=y and CONFIG_ROOT_NFS=y).
>
> This was on purpose since a lot of people complained about the long wait
> looking for a BOOTP server that wasn't there. I think we can just get
> around this with simple RARP and NFSROOT right? Can't we just pass the nfs
> server/root and IP address on the boot command (not as pretty, but it allows
> us to avoid the long hang)?

Could we build a specific kernel for it then?
Btw, I guess nfsroot is only needed for really old, low memory, systems.
Maybe adding it to the sun4c kernel image would be sufficient.

> I'm still not sure about the nfs mounting. I remember having this problem
> a long time ago on my first slink install for an IPC. I can't remember if
> I got around it, or just did it another way.

I built my own boot-floppies based on 2.2.13 today, and I can mount nfs
partitions with no problem at all.  Could you compare the options you have
selected with those from 2.2.13 ?

> I will bring my 1+ home next week so I can start dealing with some of
> these issues.
>
> Eric, you noticed the sun4c rescue image right? I was able to squeeze that
> thing down all the way to be small enough for a single floppy and still be
> uncompressed. My 1+ had issues with the old floppy boot, so I will be able
> to test this image too.

I will revive my old sparc2 to do some trial tomorrow.

Regards.

--
 Eric Delaunay                 | S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y
 delaunay@lix.polytechnique.fr | a pas de problème.   Devise Shadok.