Re: glibc 2.1 is now on master in my homedir

Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org> writes:

> On Wed, Mar 31, 1999 at 12:21:05AM -0500, Steve Dunham wrote:

> > I know, I've been telling people this.  But there are a few apps that
> > manually acquire pty's instead of using the libc functions, so they
> > end up with oldstyle one - it works, but isn't aesthetically pleasing.

> Maybe we need to get a preinst script that checks for this?

It's not an issue. I just mean that xterm eventually needs to be
patched and recompiled for all platforms.  (I've pretty much given up
hope on X. It seems that Branden may have gone back to working on
3.3.2.3.)

> Can you try this new patch I have (sparc32-chown.dpatch) and build on
> the sparc 20? I've tries building this against 2.2.5 headers from vger
> cvs and still had the same problems, so this is either not a kernel
> issue or it's one that isn't fixed.

This isn't the problem. modprobe is locking up.  Whenever a module is
autoloaded, the system locks up.  The last thing modprobe does is:

  SYS_66(

Which should be a 'vfork()'.  I'm not entirely sure what is going
wrong here.  In the kernel vfork calls exactly the same code as fork
(although the entry code is different in sparc64).  I would suspect a
kernel problem, but the older version of libc works.

I'll add your patch to a fresh tree and try rebuilding.

Steve
dunham@cse.msu.edu