Re: glibc 2.1 is now on master in my homedir

On Wed, Mar 31, 1999 at 12:21:05AM -0500, Steve Dunham wrote:
> > Glibc 2.1 has a problem with having the /dev/ptmx device present and
> > devpts not being mounted. If /dev/ptmx is presend then create /dev/pts
> > and mount devpts there or it wont work right.
>
> I know, I've been telling people this.  But there are a few apps that
> manually acquire pty's instead of using the libc functions, so they
> end up with oldstyle one - it works, but isn't aesthetically pleasing.

Maybe we need to get a preinst script that checks for this?

> > Do you have a non Ultra system to test this on? My ultra works fine,
> > but my LX doesn't reboot (as reported by some one else aswell).
>
> My SS20 seems to have locked up.  (After I installed the deb's I cd'd
> to /proc/openprom and typed "ls".)  This may just be a kernel issue,
> I'll have to wait till I get to work to find out what's wrong.  (Ping
> works, tcp connections are established, but nothing comes back.)

The exact same symptoms I have on my LX. I'm wondering if the Glibc
(for some odd reason) needs to be built on a regular sparc or if this
is just a kernel issue. I used the sparc kernel headers and the latest
egcs from potato, but built it on my Ultra since building it killed my
LX at the same point in the build everytime with an instant reboot.

Can you try this new patch I have (sparc32-chown.dpatch) and build on
the sparc 20? I've tries building this against 2.2.5 headers from vger
cvs and still had the same problems, so this is either not a kernel
issue or it's one that isn't fixed.

OpenLDAP Core - bcollins@openldap.org                 bcollins@debian.org
UnixGroup Admin - Jordan Systems         The Choice of the GNU Generation