Re: glibc 2.1 is now on master in my homedir

At 08:46 -0500 1999-03-31, Ben Collins wrote:
On Wed, Mar 31, 1999 at 12:21:05AM -0500, Steve Dunham wrote:
> Glibc 2.1 has a problem with having the /dev/ptmx device present and
> devpts not being mounted. If /dev/ptmx is presend then create /dev/pts
> and mount devpts there or it wont work right.

I know, I've been telling people this.  But there are a few apps that
manually acquire pty's instead of using the libc functions, so they
end up with oldstyle one - it works, but isn't aesthetically pleasing.

Maybe we need to get a preinst script that checks for this?

I have a better solution already, I wrote an init script that deals with mounting devpts if the kernel supports it, or removing /dev/ptmx if it doesn't.
--
Joel Klecker (aka Espy)                    Debian GNU/Linux Developer
<URL:mailto:jk@espy.org>                 <URL:mailto:espy@debian.org>