Re: disk space

On Thu, Mar 11, 1999 at 09:42:11AM -0500, shashi@fcrao1.phast.umass.edu wrote:
> Hi, would it be possible to install slink on a sparc10 which only
> has about 150MB of space? I mean install the X window system and gcc,g++
> plus netscape and all associated libraries?

I don't believe so, I just installed slink on a SparcStation IPC (just for
proof-of-principle) with a 200MB disk (50MB for swap), but I didn't install
gcc, or netscape.  I have X installed, though.

My one partition looks like this:

Filesystem         1024-blocks  Used Available Capacity Mounted on
/dev/sda1             147129  103966    35566     75%   /

This brings me to a question I wanted to ask the group.

I can start X as root w/o problems, but as a user, it says:

(using VT number 7)

Warning: The directory "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/" does not exist.
         Entry deleted from font path.
Warning: The directory "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/" does not exist.
	 Entry deleted from font path.

Fatal server error:
no screens found
X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

Up until the "Fatal server error:" is the same as I get starting as root, so
it's not the lack of fonts that's killing me.  The fact that it works as root
makes me think it's a permissions problem, but all the same files are suid and
sgid here as on my intel.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

-Dano