Default key map for Sun

Hi,

I've noticed the following problem when using the console: the shift+alt
combination doesn't work.  I've traced it to the following line in
/etc/def/default.map:

	keymaps 0-2,4-5,8,12

My Debian/i386 system has

	keymaps 0-15

The combination shift+alt would correspond to number 9, which is not
listed in the first line.  Also, the definitions for alt+percent,
alt+asciicircum (how's that for a name?), etc are not there.  I can
probably patch the mapping using the Debian/i386 as a guide, but I'm
curious to know why this is so.  Compatibility with older Sun's?

Thanks in advance,

--
Hermano Cabral