X only works for root

> I can start X as root w/o problems, but as a user, it says:
> Fatal server error:
> no screens found

This problem has come up here several times already. The solution seems
to be either

(1) change the permissions of /dev/fbX (but does this have any other
consequences? why are the permissions "wrong" to start with? should one
make all of these files writable, or just /dev/fb0?), or

(2) use xdm

Is there an FAQ file yet where we can put this information? I bet this
question will be appearing here again and again and again ...