Re: silo, dual boot, cylinder 0 (was Re: booting at last!)

Adam Di Carlo <adam@onshore.com> writes:

> In message <[🔎] m9bn21priog.fsf@fatneck.cse.msu.edu> you wrote:
> >You can't put a swap partition there.  ext2 and ufs have a couple of
> >unused blocks at the beginning, so they coexist with the disk label.
> >I've always used an ext2 partition at the beginning of the disk
> >without problems.

> Cool; that's what I thought and what I had documented.

> Yet, I personally do have a problem which is confusing.

> Install solaris on my ultra5: /dev/hda1 == sunos-root (on cyl. 0)
>                               /dev/hda2 == swap (shared)
>                               /dev/hda3 == whole disk
> 			      /dev/hda4 == linux root

> This all boots fine, into solaris.  I can still manage to
> boot into linux via TFTP.  Then run silo; after which I can boot into
> silo but the solaris options don't work (even specifying the full
> OpenPROM path, and every possible combination).  It always returns the
> error 'Can't find executable kernel/unix', IIRC.

IIRC, there is a bug in silo.  It looks in:

  /platform/SUNW,Ultra-5_10/

which is empty, rather than in /platform/sun4u.

I thought that Jakub had fixed this, but apparently, he didn't.
Making SUNW,Ultra-5_10 into a symlink should fix it.  Then add:

image=1/kernel/unix
        label=solaris
        solaris

to silo.conf.  (Silo gets the architecture string from the OpenPROM.)

You might also try installing silo on the linux partition:

 boot=/dev/hda4

and using "boot disk:d" to boot Linux (I think this will work.)

Steve
dunham@cse.msu.edu