Re: floppyless, network installation -- possible?

Adam Di Carlo <adam@onshore.com> writes:

> Running thru a tftp installation on my new sparc, I realized that
> either I'm confused (and the documentation too), or you can't install
> floppyless/cd-less.

> For instance, sure, you can boot from tftp, but when you try to install
> the operating system and modules, you'll still need a non-network
> installation mechanism, either floppy or CD.  You can't NFS at this
> point, nor can you use TFTP to get the kernel and the modules, AFAIK.

> Is this true?

> If that's the case, there are really 4 discrete installation media
> that you can kinda mix-n-match (in a constrained way, based on architecture
> too, of course):

>   * initial boot (rescue floppies, tftp, cdrom, OS loader)
>   * install kernel and modules (floppies, CD, harddisk)
+ NFS
>   * install base system (floppies, CD, harddisk, NFS)
>   * install the rest (http, nfs, disk, etc etc etc)

I'm not sure if this was answered yet, but:

  If you go down and do "Configure Network" before "Install Kernel
  and Modules", then there will be an "NFS" option in the "Install
  Kernel and Modules" menu (and the "Install Base System" menu).

Steve
dunham@cse.msu.edu