Re: slink CDs

James Moody <james@cr836502-a.slnt1.on.wave.home.com> writes:

> A couple of general questions about the sparc cd images.

> 1) Is there anything special I have to do to make them bootable? I remember
> people on the redhat list having a discussion a while back about bootable
> cd's on the sparc. FWIW, I burn my discs under windows (since jvc won't give
> specs for my cdr) using adaptec software.

The images from cdimage.debian.org are bootable.  You just have to
write the raw image to the CDR.

> 2) If I can't boot from the cd (I'm not sure if my cdrom supports booting),
> can I use the bootdisks to boot and then install from the files on the CD?

Yes.  OpenPROM has some issues with non-sun CDROM drives (RE
blocksize), so you may or may not be able to directly boot the CD in a
non-Sun drive, but the the Linux kernel can read them just fine after
it is up and running.

> Sorry for the naive questions. I'm currently running a nearly-up-to-date
> debian on my IPX and wanted discs to install on my 1 and 1+.

You could also mount the CD's and to an FTP or NFS install

Steve
dunham@cse.msu.edu