Re: SILO probs

Ben Collins wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 29, 1999 at 10:08:00AM -0400, Kris Constable wrote:
> >
> >  sorry, I did. The only change was:
> >
> >    File and args: 1/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.9
> >    Illegal Instruction
> >    Type help for more information
> >    ok
>
> Have you tried using a rescue disk yet? Probably should use the one from
> slink (2.2.1 image) and simply type:
>
> ok> boot fd() 1/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.9
>
> (or use floppy instead of fd() depending)
>
> This should get you up and going.

yes, if I do "boot floppy" I get a SILO: prompt, where I type:

  linux root=/dev/sda1

  and then I'm in debian, although I have nothing but basic commands. My
main problem is that I want a SILO: prompt on boot, and don't want to
have to manually boot off the floppy. I need to be able to boot off a
new kernel, because I'm missing the necessary libraries, it's telling me
I need a new kernel, and so I can't install anything until then. Perhaps
in a case like this, dselect should have a "apt-get new-kernel" or
something to that effect.

  Any help is appreciated,

--
Kris "SILOless" Constable			I'm simply a packet,
Spectrum CSA - Unix Administrator               in the internet of life.