Re: SILO probs

Ben Collins wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 29, 1999 at 08:50:48AM -0400, Kris Constable wrote:
> > Jason Fraley wrote:
> > >
> > > I still think it has somthing to do with the sun disklabel thing
> > > I was getting the exact same error
> > > are you sure you are setting the correct type of disk ?
> > >
> > > -Jason
> >
> >   # fdisk
> >   Disk /dev/sda (sun disk label): 9 heads, 36 sectors, 1254 cylinders
> >   in expert mode, it also adds the line:
> >   SUN0207 cyl 1254 alt 2 hd 9 sec 36
> >   which is the type it autodetected (s then ? for auto).
> >   Again, this is an SS10.
> >
> >   It was suggested I try boot -s, however boot -s brings up the same
> > menu as
> >    boot -h does.
> >   # ls /boot
> >   System.map-2.2.9   config-2.2.9     old.b     silotftp.b
> > vmlinuz-2.0.35
> >   cd.b               first.b          second.b  ultra.b
> > vmlinuz-2.2.9
> >
> >   If that helps? I had one of the debian developers look at it
> > physically, but he had no idea, as he's never tried to install on a
> > sparc.
>
> Which kernel are you trying to boot again? At the SILO prompt you could
> just type "1/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.9" and see if that works, or at the "ok>"
> prompt type "boot 1/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.9".

  I'm trying to get a SILO: prompt ;)
  When I turn on the machine, I get this:
   Boot device: /iommu/sbus/espdma@f,400000/esp@f,800000/sd@3,0:a  File
and args:
   vmlinuz
   Illegal Instruction
   Type help for more information
   ok

   and so as you can see, it never gets to a SILO: prompt.

--
Kris Constable					I'm simply a packet,
Spectrum CSA - Unix Administrator               in the internet of life.