Re: xserver-sun* breakage.

On Fri, Sep 03, 1999 at 07:30:45PM -0700, Alex Romosan wrote:
> Stephen Zander <gibreel@pobox.com> writes:
>
> > Package: xserver-xsun24
> > Version: 3.3.4-1
> >
> > Has anyone else had problems with the 3.3.4 xserver-xsun* packages?  I
> > upgraded my SS5/170 with a TCX card today and nolonger had a X
> > display. :/
> >

> i had exactly the same problem, and the only way i got the xserver to
> run again is by upgrading to libc6 2.1.2-0pre12 (latest for intel
> machines, so i had to compile it myself). and on an ipx machine is no
> fun, it took about 24 hours). while doing this i discovered a few
> other things. the linker for example is completely and utterly broken
> (at least on my machine). if i did an 'ld -V' it will dump core. i am
> curious to see if other people have the same problem. i tried to
> recompile the binutils package, but then of course the linker wouldn't
> link itself. so i ended up getting the redhat binutils package, used
> alien to convert it to deb, waited for about 12 hours for binutils to
> compile from source. voila, i have a linker that works now. i took out
> the sparc64 emulation though, so i don't know if this is what caused
> the problem in the first place.
>
> if anybody is interested, i made all these packages (libc6 + binutils)
> available by anonymous ftp on caliban.lbl.gov in /pub/debian/sparc. at
> least the xserver is running again (and the crash has nothing to do
> with not finding the pex fonts, i run it under the debugger, and it
> crashes when it tries to free some memory).
>
> lessons learned: at least on my machine ld is broken. glibc is
> woefully out of date.

I wouldn't call glibc 2.1.1 woefully out of date. On the other hand, the
glibc 2.1.2pre3 (notice the pre) which is still in prerelease, has a
possibly broken mmap(), which is why it isn't compiled for sparc yet in
potato.

I am looking into the mmap problem. Until then, I suggest not using glibc
2.1.2pre2 unless you really feal like testing prerelease software.

Ben