Re: libc5...pro or con...

On Mon, May 17, 1999 at 02:10:28PM -0400, Steve Dunham wrote:
> Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Currently I have an opinion on libc5 in sparc. 1) our current libc5 is
> > pretty broken (I can't seem to get too many libc5 binaries to work with
> > it), it makes xfree86-1 build fail when doing the libc5 compat xlib, 2)
> > the latest libc5 wont compile for sparc (the build doesn't even support
> > a sparc config).
>
> I'm building xfree86-1.  There is an additional patch that is needed
> to fix a problem on the PCI UltraSparcs.  There are binaries on my ftp
> site, I will upload them to master as soon as I get a compatible
> kernel uploaded.
>
> The libc5 stuff compiled without incident for me.
>
> > Not to mention that _a lot_ of builds with libc5 compat builds are
> > failing due to this fact.
>
> Are you using an UltraSparc?  Our libc5 ld-linux.so is not compatible
> with Ultras.

Yes it is an Ultra. My question is still, should we have libc5 support at
all? With jdk about to be released for sparc compiled against glibc, what
else is libc5 required for? I don't think the hassle is worth the overhead
in compiles and archive space, especially if it doesn't work across all of
the supported cpu's (sun4[cdmu]).