Re: 2.2.6 install disks?

* Edmund GRIMLEY EVANS <edmundo@rano.demon.co.uk> [04/30/99 02:05] wrote:
> > I wasn't able to install kernel 2.2.1 on my SPARC 2 because it
> > complained about "live target 0 not responding to selection" during
> > the SCSI initialization phase.  The only target that it should have
> > been interested in is 3, and 2.0.35 was able to start up just fine.
> > I have seen indications that the SCSI esp0 code may have been fixed up
> > in 2.2.3 or 2.2.4, so has anyone out there tried putting together the
> > rescue, root, and drivers floppies using 2.2.6?  I'd be very
> > interested in trying it out as 2.0.35 is rather slow.
>
> Why don't you just compile 2.2.7 (the latest) yourself and try it?

Sorry, I forgot to mention that my SPARC 2 has a minimal amount of
disk space, so there's no room for gcc and all the trimmings.  Hence
the need for the install disks.

> As for speed ... I compiled 2.2.7 under 2.2.6 on a SPARCstation 2 (40
> BogoMIPS, 32 MB) last night and it took 2 hours 15 minutes. That's a
> bit slower than the 70 seconds Linus needs on his machine, apparently.

I can only imagine what kind of machine Linus is using.  Anyway, I've
been told that 2.2.x runs much faster on SPARC than the old 2.0.x
kernels.

Max

--
The hopeful depend on a world without end
Whatever the hopeless may say