-bpp option in startx

The man page for startx claims that one can use the -bpp option to
select the color depth, yet my X server complains that it can't
recognize it.  I'm using the 8 bit server on a SPARC 2, so am I to
understand that -bpp is redundant because it only supports 8 bits?
WindowMaker looks like it's only using 16 colors, so I'm trying to see
if there's any way to get it to look halfway decent.  I don't think
the 24 bit server will work on this machine.

Thanks,
    Max

--
The hopeful depend on a world without end
Whatever the hopeless may say