Re: Native Netscape runs on Debian-sparc (And glibc patches)

Sorry for the late answer. I had a pretty busy week.

On Tue, Dec 15, 1998 at 10:26:19PM -0500, Steve Dunham wrote:

> Ok, I've got the native netscape running on Debian.  Thanks to Jakob
> for pointing me to some patches to glibc in UltraPenguin.
>
> The problem is that Netscape uses "longjmp()" between threads, which
> breaks with the glibc included in Debian.  A patch to the Sparc
> __longjmp code fixes this, and Netscape runs.

Great. Native netscape on sparc cool ;-)

> But the Debian sparc distribution currently uses glibc-2.0.100 and the
> source package no longer exists.  So Debian sparc violates the GPL,
> but more importantly, I worked off of the 2.0.105 release found in
> "potato".
>
> I don't want to do an NMU of glibc-pre2.1 because I don't want to step
> on anyones toes and I don't know what other patches, if any, need to
> be carried on from 2.0.100 (I can't check, because I can't even find
> the patches).
>

> Christian, are you planning on upgrading the Debian sparc distribution
> to glibc-2.1_2.0.105 anytime soon?  If so I have an essential patch
> for you.

I planned to update glibc but my experiences with glibc2.1 taught me
to be careful about it. Anyway you are not stepping on my toes by
doing an NMU. Remember just be careful and double check it ;-)

Greetings,

				Christian
--
Christian Meder, email: meder@isr.uni-stuttgart.de