Re: Can I update the sparc glibc?

On Wed, Dec 16, 1998 at 04:53:56PM -0500, Steve Dunham wrote:
> Steve Dunham <dunham@cse.msu.edu> writes:
> Apparently, all of the old patches are already there.  The Debian
> build script does the patching and unpatching. I added a
> "sparc-longjump.patch", and I am generating "glibc-pre2.1_2.0.105-1.1"
> right now.

Clean solution.

> The question is: what do I do with it when I am finished?  We are
> supposed to be releasing Debian for the Sparc RSN.  Chris is
> recompiling stuff from slink - but our current glibc, 2.0.100 is not
> in slink; in fact, the sources are nowhere on the ftp site.  The arm
> people have pushed the source in potato up to version 2.0.105, and the
> version in slink is a 2.0.95 snapshot.
>
> We can't really release our current glibc binary without source.  I
> personally would like to move to 2.0.105, since it makes Netscape
> work, and I think it would break less than moving back to 2.0.95.  (My
> system seems to run fine with 2.0.105.)

We are still a week or two away from release and we've got to be
careful about glibc2.1. It needs some time to get acquainted with its
subtle problems on sparc ;-)

> Who makes these decisions, do we have a leader for the sparc port, or
> do we go by consensus?

We don't have a leader on the sparc port. There are several people
involved in building: (just the ones I know which worked recently on
the port)
Eric Delaunay
Stephen Zander
Jules Bean
Ben Collins

The consensus is therefore usually fairly small ;-)

Greetings,

				Christian
--
Christian Meder, email: meder@isr.uni-stuttgart.de