Re: The time has come ...

> > I'll upload new xfree packages which are based on -8 in an hour or so ...
>
> Hmm.
>
> They're broken here.
>
> xdm causes the kernel to halt (back to PROM prompt - 'program terminated').

What kernel version? (It's definitely a kernel bug that it ends up at the PROM
prompt, but we should none the less try and keep xdm from triggering it.)

> startx as a user doesn't work (apparently because /dev/fb doesn't exist).
>
> startx as root causes the kernel to halt as above.
>
> On one occasion when it halted, I saw the message 'modprobe - unable to
> locate fb' or something like that.

Hmm, I shall try and put together an -8.2 then. Christian, did you
apply/merge/whatever the old sparc patches in the bugtracking system into your
patch?

Incidentally, do we have a decision on what to do about libc5? (Previously we
had some sort of consensus on not bothering with it - or so I interpreted it
anyway - and thus I don't have the altgcc stuff installed...)

/Anders

Anders Hammarquist                                  | iko@cd.chalmers.se
Not system administrator at DjungelData             | Hem: +46 31 47 69 27
Chalmers University of Technology, G|teborg, Sweden | Mob: +46 707 27 86 87