Re: Gathering opinions: Freeze ?

--On Fri, Nov 20, 1998 6:45 pm +0100 "Christian Meder"
<meder@isr.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was discussing with Brian if we could get frozen for release on Sparc
> for 2.1. His answer was that if we are almost ready now for release we
could
> get the freeze.
>
> What's the concensus here ?
>
> IMHO apart from recompiling applications there's only intensive testing
> and the bootdisks left as major showstoppers. The kernel is a minor
problem
> but one we won't be able to solve before release.

Well, the problem is we are *very* behind on packages.

In fact, we are 840 packages behind.

I have just installed roman hodek & james troup's buildd system on my sparc
2, and it is
just beginning to compile - but I would estimate it is at least a CPU-week
away from bringing sparc up-to-date with i386 slink.

Also, it's actually heading for an unstable (potato) target in any case....

My inclination is not to release, since I don't think we're ready.  However,
that's partly influenced by the fact that I have a very good net connection,
so I don't feel the need for CDs.  (indeed, I don't have a CD-ROM drive
anyway :-)

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@jellybean.co.uk         |  6 Evelyn Rd        |
|  Debian GNU/Linux - "Microsoft *does* have a year 2000 problem -     |
|                      and we're it!" (paraphrased from IRC)           |