Re: The time has come ...

On Fri, Nov 20, 1998 at 06:24:46PM +0100, Anders Hammarquist wrote:
> > > I'll upload new xfree packages which are based on -8 in an hour or so ...
> >
> > Hmm.
> >
> > They're broken here.
> >
> > xdm causes the kernel to halt (back to PROM prompt - 'program terminated').
>
> What kernel version? (It's definitely a kernel bug that it ends up at the PROM
> prompt, but we should none the less try and keep xdm from triggering it.)
>
> > startx as a user doesn't work (apparently because /dev/fb doesn't exist).
> >
> > startx as root causes the kernel to halt as above.
> >
> > On one occasion when it halted, I saw the message 'modprobe - unable to
> > locate fb' or something like that.
>
> Hmm, I shall try and put together an -8.2 then. Christian, did you
> apply/merge/whatever the old sparc patches in the bugtracking system into your
> patch?

I did merge whatever was applicable still. I'll send you my patch against
-8 in private email, ok ?

> Incidentally, do we have a decision on what to do about libc5? (Previously we
> had some sort of consensus on not bothering with it - or so I interpreted it
> anyway - and thus I don't have the altgcc stuff installed...)

Libc5 compat support does work and it doesn't involve extra work for porting
so I gathered we should support it. I made a proper altgcc package so we even
have got the sources now ;-)

Greetings,

				Christian

--