bootdisks & makedev (was Gathering opinions: Freeze ?)

Christian Meder wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was discussing with Brian if we could get frozen for release on Sparc
> for 2.1. His answer was that if we are almost ready now for release we could
> get the freeze.
>
> What's the concensus here ?
>
> IMHO apart from recompiling applications there's only intensive testing
> and the bootdisks left as major showstoppers. The kernel is a minor problem
> but one we won't be able to solve before release.

I'm happy to tell you that I've now an up-to-date Debian/SPARC system and I'm
ready to work on bootdisks.  I'm now reviewing the bootfloppies sources and I
started to fix it.
BTW, I've some troubles with makedev : since there are no more generic-sparc &
boot-floppies-sparc targets and I lost the old source of this package, I need
to know which devices are needed for sparc either on the boot image or on the
base system.

Especially, I can put the following on the root image :

	std (= mem, null, tty, ram[012...], ...)
	pty
	console
	fd0 fd1           (is fd0h1440 & so on are required ?)
    sda sdb ...       (how many disks ?)
	scd0 scd1 ...     (how many units ?)
	st0 st1 ...       (same as above)
	hda hdb ...       (needed ?)
	ttyS[0123]
	sunmouse
	openprom
	rtc
	loop[0-7]

The base system should contains all devices above plus the following ones:

	fb[0-3]          (maybe 0-7 ?)
	sg0 sg1 ...

Am I missing something ?
Thanks in advance.

PS: I tried to build a romfs boot floppy without success since there is
    apparently no romfs support in 2.0.35.  Is it right ?  The genromfs 0.3
    package tells about a patch against 2.0.35 but it isn't there.
    Should I need 2.1.xxx to use romfs ?