Re: Gathering opinions: Freeze ?

On Fri, Nov 20, 1998 at 06:00:37PM +0000, Jules Bean wrote:
> --On Fri, Nov 20, 1998 6:45 pm +0100 "Christian Meder"
> <meder@isr.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was discussing with Brian if we could get frozen for release on Sparc
> > for 2.1. His answer was that if we are almost ready now for release we
> could
> > get the freeze.
> >
> > What's the concensus here ?
> >
> > IMHO apart from recompiling applications there's only intensive testing
> > and the bootdisks left as major showstoppers. The kernel is a minor
> problem
> > but one we won't be able to solve before release.
> Well, the problem is we are *very* behind on packages.
> In fact, we are 840 packages behind.

I know but I've got plenty of packages which I compiled and have to check
but which are basically ready for upload ;-)

> I have just installed roman hodek & james troup's buildd system on my sparc
> 2, and it is
> just beginning to compile - but I would estimate it is at least a CPU-week
> away from bringing sparc up-to-date with i386 slink.
> Also, it's actually heading for an unstable (potato) target in any case....

Please refrain from uploading potato stuff until we reached a conclusion. All
my uploads up to now are in sync with frozen i386.

> My inclination is not to release, since I don't think we're ready.  However,
> that's partly influenced by the fact that I have a very good net connection,
> so I don't feel the need for CDs.  (indeed, I don't have a CD-ROM drive
> anyway :-)

My problem with not releasing is the continous dragging along without getting
a stable codebase once. We could need more exposure and manpower ;-)

Christian Meder, email: meder@isr.uni-stuttgart.de
What's the railroad to me ?
I never go to see
Where it ends.