Re: Dual boot IPX SLinux/Solaris

--On Wed, Nov 11, 1998 11:38 pm -0600 "Ron Mathis" <rmathis@conwaycorp.net>
wrote:

> I have gotten Linux installed and running. I am running the 2.0.33
> kernel and have not run dselect because of the bash/kernel messages of
> late. I looked at upgrading the kernel and got he 2.0.35 kernel from
> vger.rutgers.edu. I have not done an upgrade like this before but it
> looks like you copy the new kernel and System Map to the /boot dir redo
> the link and reboot the system. I can only hope it is that easy. Will
> upgrading to 2.0.35 take care of the bash/kernel problem.  The other
> thing is that I ftped the entire sparc distribution to this machine and
> would like to keep it current is there a good way to do this. Thanks for
> your help in advance.

Best kernel to use, actually, is the debian-supplied 2.0.35.  FTP it from
your local mirror.

It won't 'solve' the bash/kernel issues - but they are not as serious under
2.0 kernels as they are under 2.1 kernels (i.e. 2.0 kernels give you a
usable machine).

The problems are apparently glibc related, and will be fixed when we get a
new libc.

To keep your mirror up to date, you could run mirror, or rsync.  However,
thinkg about why you're doing this?  If it's just for your use, is it
worthwile?  If, on the other hand its for the use of a group of people, then
go for it.  If you can make your mirror publically accessible, even better.

There's a mailing list for mirroring issues - debian-mirror, I think (there
may be an 's').

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@jellybean.co.uk         |  6 Evelyn Rd        |