Re: Compiling apt for Sparc

--On Thu, Nov 12, 1998 3:44 pm +0530 "Sanjeev Gupta"
<ghane@arjun.eurolink.stpn.soft.net> wrote:

> In an earlier thread, Jules said:
>
>> apt-get is segfault because you have broken your libraries - alas, you'll
>> have to recompile apt against libstdc++ 2.9
>
> Tried to compile apt the hard way (./configure ; make).  Failed.
> Tried the hard way (vi Makefile; make; vi Makefile; make...).  Failed
> Tried the easier way (debian/binary rules).  Clean success!!!

Always use debian/rules!  If you're interested in what it is doing, simply
read the debian/rules file :-)

> So now I have apt-0.1.7 for SPARC.  Should I upload it somewhere?  In case
> anybodby needs it, please mail me.

Unless you're a maintainer, don't bother to upload it.  IN any case, I
suspect the new libc may require another bout of recompilations.

> Now:
>
> xsun-server needs fonts.  xfonts-base needs xbase-clients.  xbase-clients
> not available in dists/sid/main/binary-sparc/x11 .
>
> Hmmmmm.  Help?

Well, you could try grabbing the X source and compiling yourself, if you
have 500MB of free disk space.  However, I don't know if Branden will have
kept the sparc-specific changes current in his recent X reorganisation.
Personally, I'm waiting for our  pseudo-maintainer, Anders Hammerquist (sp?)
to recompile, or someone to step up in his place (I don't have the disk
space, or the CPU time), and meanwhile I'm keeping my X packages on hold.

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@jellybean.co.uk         |  6 Evelyn Rd        |