Re: XF86Config???

On Thu, Aug 27, 1998 at 01:07:56AM -0500, Michael Shuey wrote:
> > Well my FULL debian sparc system has xbase and xsun installed and..works
> > fine with NO XF86Config file...and if I try to make one with xf86config
> > it fails :(
>
> This is because Xsun is not technically a part of XFree86.  It's generated by
> the X Consortium's release of X.  XFree just happens to include that source,
> or at least the source of the last publically released version, so it is
> possible to patch the code to make Xsun work with Linux/Sparc.  Because of
> this programs like xf86config (and xvidtune, XF86Setup, etc.) do not apply.
> They only apply to XFree86, not to Xsun (or Xsgi, or any other servers that
> can be built with that source).

AHHHH that explains it :)

> > How can I tell it NOT to use the local fontpaths compiled in and
> > to use "inet/10.0.0.42:7100"
> > (then eventually ::fingers crossed:: 7101 if I can get xfstt hacked up to u=
> > se
> > the proper endianess)
>
> RTFM :-)  The Xsun man page (or the X man page, one of the two) documents the
> command line option.  Yes, your font path will be a command line option to the
> X server.  -fp 'tcp/10.0.0.42:7100' should do it, I think.
>     The trick now becomes getting the X server to recognize these options.  If
> you're starting your X server with startx, that's easy; use

Nope no startx...
X -query <host>
right from /etc/inittab
(in fact...no gettys running at all ;) JUST that ;) )

The current doc (updated 2 mins ago....before I read this...will
add this tomorow night) is at:
http://people.delphi.com/sjc/linux/poor.html

this shoudl be the last bit of info I need to get the process working on the
Sparc....
then i can work on adding the new features I had discussed with some people!

> `startx -- -fp 'tcp/10.0.0.42:7100'` or some such thing.  If you're using xdm
> things are a bit harder.  You'll need to edit /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers (xdm uses
> that file to get a list of what X servers to run).  Look for a line like
> ':0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X' or ':0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/Xsun'; that's the line
> that tells xdm to start an X server on the local display.  Add the command
> line option there, making it something like this:
> :0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X -fp 'tcp/10.0.0.42:7100'

well no xdm ;) trying to do this with as small a filesystem footprint as
possible...no xbase installed!

-Steve
E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"