Re: XF86Config???

> Well my FULL debian sparc system has xbase and xsun installed and..works
> fine with NO XF86Config file...and if I try to make one with xf86config
> it fails :(

This is because Xsun is not technically a part of XFree86.  It's generated by
the X Consortium's release of X.  XFree just happens to include that source,
or at least the source of the last publically released version, so it is
possible to patch the code to make Xsun work with Linux/Sparc.  Because of
this programs like xf86config (and xvidtune, XF86Setup, etc.) do not apply.
They only apply to XFree86, not to Xsun (or Xsgi, or any other servers that
can be built with that source).

> How can I tell it NOT to use the local fontpaths compiled in and
> to use "inet/10.0.0.42:7100"
> (then eventually ::fingers crossed:: 7101 if I can get xfstt hacked up to u=
> se
> the proper endianess)

RTFM :-)  The Xsun man page (or the X man page, one of the two) documents the
command line option.  Yes, your font path will be a command line option to the
X server.  -fp 'tcp/10.0.0.42:7100' should do it, I think.
    The trick now becomes getting the X server to recognize these options.  If
you're starting your X server with startx, that's easy; use
`startx -- -fp 'tcp/10.0.0.42:7100'` or some such thing.  If you're using xdm
things are a bit harder.  You'll need to edit /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers (xdm uses
that file to get a list of what X servers to run).  Look for a line like
':0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X' or ':0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/Xsun'; that's the line
that tells xdm to start an X server on the local display.  Add the command
line option there, making it something like this:
:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X -fp 'tcp/10.0.0.42:7100'

Hope this helps.  For more useful X command line options (which you may need,
since there is no config file for Xsun) try running `Xsun --help`.

--
Mike "No .sig for you" Shuey