Re: Sun Sparc-Station 5 and Debian

>Hello Anders, Derrick, all :)
>
>just another thing:
>
>What about differences in programming (app & sys level) a Debian PC-Box
>and
>a Debian Sparc Box? Different symbols, directories, headers, hierarchy,
>etc.
>I already read the Portability-HOWTO, but this covers only differences
>between
>Un*x dists. So may i assume that there are no differences when using the
>same
>dist on different architectures? Or only minor differences?
>BTW, programming in C and C++ (maybe a bit assembler)

>From what I've seen, the differences between Sparc and i386 Linux are
minor. There are differences, but most of them are related hardware or
the fact that the Sparc dist is still young.

Programming on S/Linux is really no different from programming on i386
Linux as long as you are not dealing with the kernel directly - or
forget that the Sparc is bigendian while the i386 is littleendian.

>P.S.:
>I remember installing MkLinux on an Apple-PPC a few years ago. Many
>things
>were different - even after i made it to compile most of slackware and
>ran it
>- things were different. MkLinux uses the Mach Kernel. So this may be
>the main
>reason?

I'd guess that part of it was the Mach kernel, and part of it was that
in those days Linux was different - it feels more normal now, or maybe
it's just that I've used it longer? ;-) MkLinux of course was also rather
young at the time, which I suppose would make it differnet.

Regards,
/Anders

Anders Hammarquist   |       Mud at Kingdoms        | iko@netg.se
NetGuide Scandinavia |   telnet kingdoms.se 1812    | Fax: +46 31 50 79 39
http://www.netg.se   |                              | Tel: +46 31 50 79 40