Re: SunOS emulation

On Fri, Jul 24, 1998 at 03:09:09PM -0400, Dave Broudy wrote:
> I have a question about SunOS emulation.  I got the libraries from a SunOS
> machine, along with ld.so and ld.so.cache, all installed under
> /usr/gnemul/sunos/{usr/lib, etc} Do I also need to do any sort of
> ldconfig? And iBCS2 is only for Solaris binaries (this is what the RedHat
> list archives seem to say, but that confuses me, I thought that they iBCS
> stood for "Intel Binary Compatibility Spec", or something like that)

I think spec=standard....
I dunno what it really does so I can't comment but i have heard the name

> I can't currently get any SunOS binaries to work (I'm starting with simple
> ones, cat, echo...).  I even compiled a really simple program that just
> has one printf and is statically linked (I shouldn't even need the libs,
> right?)

wrong.... printf() is a function which is part of the c language...
therefore you need libc.

in fact,...one would be hard pressed to write a C program which could run
without libc (and I am not counting staticly linked against
libc either ;) )

> Well, all that any of them do is just sit there for a really long time,
> and finally say: "./cat: connot execute binary file".

hmm ok

> For subsequent
> executions, they exit with the error much faster.

yes the would wouldn't they...isn't cache wonderfull? :)

Wish I could help more...but the problems you describe aren't anything
inherint in the icbs stuff...it just means it doesn't recognize the binary
as something runnable...
so either the icbs isn't working...oir just setup wrong
isn't icbs a kernel option? is it on?
(I know little about it...)
-Steve

E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"