Re: Apt

On Wed, 22 Jul 1998, Anders Hammarquist wrote:

> >Installs are going well either side of me, and I've downloaded (not yet
> >tested) the X debs from netg.se.
>
> Great! Let me know how X works out.

X appears to work well.  To recap, this is an SS2 with a cg6.  It's groovy
- lovely and fast (shame about the 8-bit).

However, there are bugs in the vc handling.  I have not yet managed to
pind down a reproducible case, but here are the symptoms I sometimes see:

1) For no apparent resaon, X will suddenly blast itself on top of whatever
VC I'm using.  From that time on, it will apparently 'own' both VC 7, and
the VC it blasted onto.  It is often possible to fix this by explicitly
running chvt <vcno> (preferably from a telnet session).  However, then the
keymaps will be buggered.  Careful use of chvt and kbd_mode is required
over telnet to restore things.

2) Sometimes the keymaps will bugger up when switching terminals in any
case.

And, unrealted to that...

3) There is an overlap which stops xsun-utils being installed. kbd_mode
and constype (at least, maybe more) are in xbase.  Versions all at
3.3.2.2-1.2