Re: ldd probs

On Wed, 22 Jul 1998, Anders Hammarquist wrote:

> >ldd seems to be badly broken on sparc - and this impacts dpkg-shlibdeps,
> >which makes package building hard.  I presume this is a known problem.
> >What is its status?  I couldn't see anything in the BTS, but maybe I'm not
> >looking the the right place..
>
> A long time ago (fall/winter of last year) we had severe problems with libc6
> and ldd. I do hope they haven't come back. Please check your version of
> libc6. Anything after Feb '98 should be OK I think.

No.  My versions of ldso and libc are lup to date slink.  Furthermore, my
binaries check out precisely (md5summed) with those belongin to another
member of this list, who has now problem.

My current working hypothesis is that this is a 'sun4c' only problem.  The
RedHat-Sparc page (FWIW) lists the 4c series as 'tier 2' supported,
because 'the kernel has some MMU problems with these machines'.

I'd be interested for anyone on this list to email me (personally, I'll
repost a summary to the list) the effect of 'ldd /usr/lib/libm.so',
followed by 'cat /proc/cpuinfo'.  I'll compile the results and see if
there is a common factor.

In fact, to be complete, why not run 'dpkg -l ldso' 'dpkg -l libc6' first.
Here is what I am talking about:

pinacolada:~# dpkg -l ldso
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge
uppercase=bad)
||/ Name            Version        Description
+++-===============-==============-============================================
ii  ldso            1.9.9-1        The Linux dynamic linker, library and
utilit
pinacolada:~# dpkg -l libc6
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge
uppercase=bad)
||/ Name            Version        Description
+++-===============-==============-============================================
ii  libc6           2.0.93-980414- The GNU C library version 2 (run-time
files)
pinacolada:~# ldd /usr/lib/libm.so
ldd: /usr/lib/libm.so exited with signal 11
pinacolada:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo
cpu             : Cypress/ROSS CY7C601
fpu             : Texas Instruments TMS390-C602A
promlib         : Version 2 Revision 2
prom            : 2.4
type            : sun4c
ncpus probed    : 1