Re: Debian doesn't work on a Sparc 20

> I can't get Debian to install on my Sparc 20.  (Which currently is
> running UltraPenguin 1.0.9.)
>
> The kernel included with Debian doesn't boot on the Sparc20, so I
> tried the 2.1.99 cvs kernel that I currently am booting UltraPenguin
> under.
>
> The base package untars, but it when it reboots it doesn't work
> (segfaults during startup, initial script runs but never gets to the
> point where it runs dpkg.)

While my problems aren't as severe, I have been having similar problems.  My
Sparc 4 boots fine but processes periodically die with either a signal 9, 11,
or kernel oops.  The oops message is either "Unable to handle kernel NULL
pointer dereference" or something about being unable to service a virtual
memory request.  I spent several hours checking the hardware and now I'm
beginning to suspect either the kernel or some bizarre problem with libc/ld.
I'm using 2.0.34-062598, the latest stable kernel from vger.
    This box has sucessfully run RH 4.2 before with none of these problems.
Does anyone know where RedHat gets its sparc kernels?

--
Mike "No .sig for you" Shuey