Re: Debian doesn't work on a Sparc 20

At 11:19 PM -0700 7/3/98, Steve Dunham wrote:
>If I chroot into the Debian partition from my UltraPenguin or the boot
>ramdisk, I find that bash will segfault after it runs any external
>command (e.g. ls).   "ash" runs fine, but dpkg complains:
>
>  gzip: stdin: not in gzip format

Hmm... powerpc has this exact problem, dpkg-deb feeds gzip garbage when it
tries to unpack a .deb, all the powerpc machines are also running kernels
from vger CVS (2.1.10x).
We tried rebuilding dpkg against the latest glibc for powerpc, but it
doesn't help.
It hadn't occured to me that the kernel might be the problem till now.
--
Joel "Espy" Klecker    Debian GNU/Linux Developer    <mailto:jk@espy.org>
<http://www.espy.org/>                          <ftp://ftp.espy.org/pub/>