Debian doesn't work on a Sparc 20

I can't get Debian to install on my Sparc 20.  (Which currently is
running UltraPenguin 1.0.9.)

The kernel included with Debian doesn't boot on the Sparc20, so I
tried the 2.1.99 cvs kernel that I currently am booting UltraPenguin
under.

The base package untars, but it when it reboots it doesn't work
(segfaults during startup, initial script runs but never gets to the
point where it runs dpkg.)

If I chroot into the Debian partition from my UltraPenguin or the boot
ramdisk, I find that bash will segfault after it runs any external
command (e.g. ls).   "ash" runs fine, but dpkg complains:

  gzip: stdin: not in gzip format

"tcsh" also runs fine.

Any ideas?  Is anyone still running Debian on the Sparc?  Either this
list has been dead or I was unsubscribed

 (BTW, aside
from being damn slow, it seems to run fine on an IPC.)

I'd really
like to get this up and running so I can compile packages and have the
same distribution on both the PC and sparc in my cubicle.

Steve
dunham@cps.msu.edu