How to get there from here

I have inherited a Netra I server (equivalent to a SPARCstation 20 with 1
SuperSPARC-II), no monitor or keyboard.  (i.e. accessed through serial
port only.)  There is currently no OS on there.  I would like to install
Debian but with the current boot disks I get up to

VFS: Mounted root (minix filesystem).
Freeing unused kernel memory: 40k code, 4k data

and it just hangs.  The RedHat disk causes an illegal instruction
exception.  Oddly enough the rescue disk on vger does work but
there is hardly anything on that disk (no dd or chown for instance.)

I think I ought to be able to run S/Linux on this hardware, how do I
complete the install?

[Please cc any replies as I'm not currently subscribed to the list.]

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@braincells.com>