Re: Sun Netra I5

Nathan E Norman wrote:
> Hi everyone! (how many are on here anyway?)
>
> I'm a happy Debian user on the i386 platform.  Recently we inherited a
> Sun Netra I5 server, and I'm unhappy with Solaris ... no development
> tools means no fun.
>
> So, I decided to try debian-sparc.  The rescue disk boots fine, but I
> can't get the system to load the "root" disk.  I suspect this is because
> the I5 is a headless box, and uses a console off the serial port.  I'm
> guessing that the kernel doesn't know that and is expecting a keystroke
> on the keyboard instead.

The current boot floppies don't support serial console booting.
In fact, the init process uses /dev/tty1 as console.
You can usually boot your linux kernel by passing the "console=ttya" parameter
but then init fails to recognize it and falls down to tty1.  Init wants a full
path to the device (eg. console=/dev/ttya) but the kernel then hangs :-(
I'm now working on adding this feature to init.  I already tried it and it
works.  Now I have to upgrade to boot-floppies 2.0.4 before uploading new boot
disks.
I hope I will upload them in few days, but I need to refresh my local debian
sparc mirror before.

BTW, it there a libc6 perl package available ?  I heard it didn't pass all the
regression tests, but could it be uploaded as is ?  It is almost needed by the
boot disks.

Regards.