Re: redhat patches

Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:
 > hi.
 >
 > i wondered : did someone try to extract redhat patches from all their
 > sparc packages ? it's gpl, so we are allowed to take the patches of
 > other distributions and use them... or doesn't redhat have patches ?

it is not always a good idea: remember that redhat is not
using glibc2 :-(

anyway, redhat patches are official "sparc" patches,
so it is obvious that we have to take a look at them :-)

 > btw: what about setting up a database/ftp/whatever somewhere with all
 > patches from all distributions (and all plattforms). i used patches from
 > other distributions for isdn, and it saved me some time. of course all
 > distributions send their patches back to the maintainers (i hope so),
 > but in many cases this way isn't fast enough ...

I think that the problem with the sparc arch, is especially
with GNU software. I mean that a "sparc patch" for a generic program,
is obviously well accepted. This seems not to be true with
GNU software. So if you want to compile gcc, or glibc, or
binutils, you have to refer to redhat patches.

I have never understood why sparc patches for gcc or glibc,
or any other GNU programs, are not yet in the standard source
tree, even if they are available since years.

Ciao

--
Davide Barbieri - paci@linux.it - paci@debian.org
PGP fingerprint =  CD 8D A9 1E DB 0C B0 16  F8 2F BF 63 52 49 8B A8