Re: [ANNOUNCE] git-deb: a Git importer for Debian packages

On 24/10/13 at 15:18 +0200, Gabriel de Perthuis wrote:
> Hello,
> I've written a tool to import Debian packages into Git:
>
>     git clone deb::mypackage
>
> It does a faithful import of the package history from
> snapshot.debian.org.  There is some agressive caching built-in, and a
> bit of logic to rebuild the history graph from changelogs.  It is also
> able to deal with most quirks in the upload history, like missing source
> packages, missing .dsc files, and obsolete keys.
>
> On the git side, the --depth option is supported.  Incremental imports
> (both new releases and deepening the history) aren't yet, but the shared
> cache helps rebuild branches faster.
>
> It's available here https://github.com/g2p/git-deb and on PyPI.

That's really cool, and actually something I had on my TODO list (in the
"Cool hacks I'll do when I have time" section).

Do you think that it would be possible to turn it into a script part of
devscripts?

Some things I noticed:

1) $HOME/.cache/debsnap/ needs to be manually created

2) Trying to import simgrid, I don't know how to import
all versions.
It seems that:
git clone 'deb::simgrid?trust=DA196237023B3F4F' simgrid
fails with:
NameError: global name 'skip' is not defined

and if I do:
git clone 'deb::simgrid?skip=0;trust=DA196237023B3F4F' simgrid
it fails with
ValueError: list.remove(x): x not in list

why does 'trust' imply skipping at least one version?

May I suggest that snapshot2deb would be a better, less generic name?

Thanks a lot,

Lucas