Re: [ANNOUNCE] git-deb: a Git importer for Debian packages

Le 24/10/2013 18:24, Lucas Nussbaum a écrit :
> On 24/10/13 at 15:18 +0200, Gabriel de Perthuis wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I've written a tool to import Debian packages into Git:
>>
>>     git clone deb::mypackage
>>
>> It does a faithful import of the package history from
>> snapshot.debian.org.  There is some agressive caching built-in, and a
>> bit of logic to rebuild the history graph from changelogs.  It is also
>> able to deal with most quirks in the upload history, like missing source
>> packages, missing .dsc files, and obsolete keys.
>>
>> On the git side, the --depth option is supported.  Incremental imports
>> (both new releases and deepening the history) aren't yet, but the shared
>> cache helps rebuild branches faster.
>>
>> It's available here https://github.com/g2p/git-deb and on PyPI.
>
> That's really cool, and actually something I had on my TODO list (in the
> "Cool hacks I'll do when I have time" section).
>
> Do you think that it would be possible to turn it into a script part of
> devscripts?

This is very new, and I may break compatibility in a few places, but I'd
be happy to get this into Debian (a sponsored upload would also work).
Possible future breakage: dealing with duplicate filenames[1] could
require changes in the cache layout, and I might introduce upstream
branches.
If someone could tell me that the sdo database doesn't contain
conflicting hashes for an orig archive, I'd be grateful, because
otherwise upstream branches will become complicated.

> Some things I noticed:
>
> 1) $HOME/.cache/debsnap/ needs to be manually created

Oops, fixed

> 2) Trying to import simgrid, I don't know how to import
> all versions.
> It seems that:
> git clone 'deb::simgrid?trust=DA196237023B3F4F' simgrid
> fails with:
> NameError: global name 'skip' is not defined

Fixed as well.  I have just introduced the trust option.  I'll try to
add some CI to catch this sort of thing.

[1] http://snapshot.debian.org/package/file/4.17-5etch2/