Re: Debian LTS?

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 12:40 AM, Noah Meyerhans <noahm@debian.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 06, 2011 at 12:33:39AM +0200, Poison Bit wrote:
>> In my experience: if a company does not perform operative system
>> upgrades, the company does not have more than 5 years and does not
>> understand how open source, and in special linux kernel, works.
>
> I'm certain I can name several large companies that have been around for
> more than 5 years and whose services you rely on that do not perform os
> upgrades on hardware once it enters production.

Unlisted N reason: or "does not care about network security"

>> You can migrate data between service versions or environments, have
>> rollbacks, backups and etc.
>
> Across a fleet of 15000 hosts?  With no downtime?  Without impacting the
> schedule of whatever software you actually run on these hosts?

Don't they got daily updates? are they network exposed?

Don't they jump LTS neither never?

>> The monolitic "one server, all services, never upgrade" maybe just an
>> architecture issue, totally outside of the Debian issues.
>
> That's not what I'm describing at all.  Those places can and should
> upgrade.  I'm talking 1 service to 1 host, multiplied by thousands.
> These are the companies that want LTS support.

That companies of that size, may want to help Debian to help them,
keeping packages many years supported without being like a debian
oldstable php. Maybe that companies may have ALL Debian developers
happy and got the LTS as a result, good luck.