Re: apt-get may accept inconsistent data

Stefan Tichy <dlist@pi4tel.de> writes:
> On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 01:03:33AM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>> I ment what Release file. Because the etch security one does have the
>> md5sums of Packages in it.
>
> This has been modified too and the md5sum listed for the packages
> file has changed.
>
>> > apt-get sends a http GET request for Packages.bz2. Part of this
>> > request is this information:
>> >
>> >   Cache-Control: max-age=0  If-Modified-Since: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 09:15:01 GMT
>
> Cache-Control: max-age=0
> If-Modified-Since: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 09:15:01 GMT
>

> If apt-get would send this instead, squid would work as expected:
>
> Cache-Control: must-revalidate

must-revalidate is only valid in a server response.  See RFC2612 section
14.9.  Using "Cache-Control: max-age=0" is the correct way for a client
to force cache revalidation.  This sounds like a squid bug.  You may
work around it, but let's just face it: If you accept a buggy proxy,
then there is no way to ensure valid content.

Bjørn
--
I mean, your narrow-mindedness is matched only by your
narrow-mindedness