Re: apt-get may accept inconsistent data

Stefan Tichy <dlist@pi4tel.de> writes:

> On Sat, May 03, 2008 at 10:17:00PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>> Does it complain about the md5sum/size of the file?
>
> No, it seems to be perfectly satisfied. No error message, exit
> status 0.
>

>> The Release file could have been regenerated for e.g. a contrib
>> package without main changing. So the date does not neccesarily mean
>> anything.
>
> So there is no reason to be surprised if just Release and
> Release.gpg where fetched and updated.
>
> But the MD5SUM of the packages file is not listed in the Release
> file (probably it was listed in some old version).

That also triggers an error from apt-get. I just had that 2 days ago
when I messed up a locally generated Release file.

What file are you talking about?

> I tried 'Acquire::Pdiffs "false";' but that does not help.
>
> If I remove proxy configuration from apt.conf, apt-get fetches
> the new packages file. The problem probably does not occur if there
> is no (squid) proxy, but apt-get should complain if anything goes
> wrong for whatever reason.

Does the file actually differ?

Could you strace apt-get and see what the http method sends and
recieves from squid and apt-get?

MfG
        Goswin