Re: ClamAV And unrar - Bug #465207

Stephen Gran wrote:

This one time, at band camp, Nick Boyce said:

.. it seems to me that simply enabling the --unrar parameter of clamscan would not entail incorporating or distributing any unrar code at all - the code to parse the --unrar parameter and call the non-free unrar binary if specified surely belongs to ClamAV alone ?

Yes, it's a known issue that I'm talking to upstream about.  If you want
to update the bug, feel free.  I really should have updated the bug
report to say:

"There is a hard coded path in clamscan that calls internal unpackers
for zip and rar before trying the specified external unpackers.  This
breaks rar and some zip scanning for no clearly good reason.  I am
talking with upstream about it."

Ah .. thanks very much for the explanation .. the code sounds weird :)

Shouldn't it :
     call the external unpackers if specified
else call the internal unpackers if compiled in
else skip ?
[i.e. treat any specified external unpacker as an override to any available internal one]

I've added my comment to the bug ... good luck with upstream.

Cheers
Nick Boyce
--
Music began with a howl lamenting a loss.  The howl became
a prayer, and from the hope in the prayer started music.