ClamAV And unrar - Bug #465207

I'm trying to understand the situation with the Debian Volatile package of ClamAV and its lack of unrar support. I just found bug #465207 in which Torsten Jerzembeck asked for the package to have the ability to call unrar enabled - the maintainer replied that he is unable to do that because the unrar code is not redistributable ...

But it seems to me that simply enabling the --unrar parameter of clamscan would not entail incorporating or distributing any unrar code at all - the code to parse the --unrar parameter and call the non-free unrar binary if specified surely belongs to ClamAV alone ?

Thus the ClamAV package(s) could remain pure and free, while individual sysadmins could make their own decision about whether to install the non-free unrar binary package, and then request that clamscan call it.

I'm contemplating updating the bug report to say exactly this, but wondering whether I'm missing something ... All opinions gratefully received.

[We run clamscan nightly against a large amount of file storage used as a Samba share by Windows-based engineers all around the UK - and they seem to store a *lot* of RAR files there. I realise we could compile up our own ClamAV, but I'd rather stick with Debian ...]

[1] http://bugs.debian.org/465207

Cheers
Nick Boyce
--
Microsoft suggests that users "do not open or save Word files"