Re: How to prevent daemons from ever being started?

* Maximiliano Curia (maxy@gnuservers.com.ar) [060515 10:35]:
> On Monday 15 May 2006 13:31, Lee Braiden wrote:
> > On Monday 15 May 2006 16:09, Uwe Hermann wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > just a random question I wanted to ask for quite a while now:
> > >
> > > What is "the Debian way" to prevent any daemon from ever starting,
> > > whether upon reboot, upon upgrade, upon new install etc.
> > >
> > > I know I can do
> > >
> > >  * /etc/init.d/foobar stop
> > >  * /usr/sbin/update-rc.d -f foobar remove
> >
> > Not the debian way, but since there doesn't seem to be one (I thought
> > update-rc.d or rcconf did it fine, until now :), you can also put:
> >
> >   echo "This daemon has been disabled"
> >   exit 0
> >
> > near the top of the init.d scripts :)
>
> using a /etc/default/daemon
> DAEMON=disable
>
> and a small check in the init.d script is what lots of packages actually do.

I think Uwe wanted them to not start automatically at boot but to be
able to invoke the init script manually.  Both of these ideas prevent
the manual invocation as well.

--
http://www.doorstop.net/