Re: How to prevent daemons from ever being started?

On Mon, May 15, 2006 at 05:09:28PM +0200, Uwe Hermann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> just a random question I wanted to ask for quite a while now:
>
> What is "the Debian way" to prevent any daemon from ever starting,
> whether upon reboot, upon upgrade, upon new install etc.

Please see
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/ch3.en.html#s-disableserv

and the preceeding paragraph:

"If you want to keep some services but use them rarely, use the
update-commands, e.g. update-inetd and update-rc.d to remove them from the
startup process. For more information on how to disable network services read
Disabling daemon services, Section 3.6.1. If you want to change the default
behaviour of starting up services on installation of their associated
packages[4] use policy-rc.d, please read
/usr/share/doc/sysv-rcREADME.policy-rc.d.gz for more information."

I believe all the mechanisms dissuggested in this thread are already there.
Patches are still welcome, however.

Regards

Javier