Re: How to prevent daemons from ever being started?

On Monday 15 May 2006 16:09, Uwe Hermann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> just a random question I wanted to ask for quite a while now:
>
> What is "the Debian way" to prevent any daemon from ever starting,
> whether upon reboot, upon upgrade, upon new install etc.
>
> I know I can do
>
>  * /etc/init.d/foobar stop
>  * /usr/sbin/update-rc.d -f foobar remove

Not the debian way, but since there doesn't seem to be one (I thought
update-rc.d or rcconf did it fine, until now :), you can also put:

  echo "This daemon has been disabled"
  exit 0

near the top of the init.d scripts :)

--
Lee Braiden
http://DigitalUnleashed.com

Since war begins in the minds of men, it is in the minds of men that defences
of peace must be constructed.                 -- Constitution of UNESCO, 1945