How to prevent daemons from ever being started?

Hi,

just a random question I wanted to ask for quite a while now:

What is "the Debian way" to prevent any daemon from ever starting,
whether upon reboot, upon upgrade, upon new install etc.

I know I can do

 * /etc/init.d/foobar stop
   to stop the daemon at this very moment (but it'll be re-started upon
   reboot, often (always?) also upon upgrade of the foobar package).

 * /usr/sbin/update-rc.d -f foobar remove
   to prevent the starting of the daemon upon reboot. However, most
   often this will have to be done _again_ if the foobar package is
   upgraded...

I have been using a small /etc/rc.boot/remove_daemons script for quite
a while now to kill off daemons upon every reboot on my laptop.

Basically it looks like:

#!/bin/sh

/usr/sbin/update-rc.d -f lpd remove > /dev/null
/usr/sbin/update-rc.d -f fetchmail remove > /dev/null
/usr/sbin/update-rc.d -f dictd remove > /dev/null
/usr/sbin/update-rc.d -f xprint remove > /dev/null
/usr/sbin/update-rc.d -f ssh remove > /dev/null
[....]

It "kills" all daemons I don't want to run per default (but I still want
to be installed, e.g. for manual starting in certain situations).

Now, I _could_ run my /etc/rc.boot/remove_daemons script in a cronjob
every minute or so, but there sure has to be a more elegant way...

Besides, I need to manually maintain the contents of the script, adding
whatever packages I newly install. That's tedious and error-prone.

How would you go about ensuring that _no daemon at all_ is ever started
on your system, except when you explicitly type "etc/init.d/foobar start"?

Uwe.
--
Uwe Hermann
http://www.hermann-uwe.de