Re: [SECURITY] [DSA 479-1] New Linux 2.4.18 packages fix local root exploit (source+alpha+i386+powerpc)

On Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 09:33:32PM +0200, David R wrote:
> Yes, any ideas how to fix this? I'm a newbie, so a bit new to Linux. When I
> installed this 2.4.18 package, it blew up my network card, so I am unable to
> get the new, fixed package. I thought about using apt-get remove to get rid
> of the patched kernel, but somehow this seemed ungood to me, so I tried
> booting from LinuxOLD, which points to the original (as far as I can tell)
> vmlinuz-2.4.18-686. However, when I try this, I get the following error:
>
> Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root FS on 03:01

 I'm guessing that the wrong initrd is getting loaded for the kernel that's
booting.  Check your /boot/grub/menu.lst (or /etc/lilo.conf), and the
symlinks in /boot for initrd-old.img (or whatever it's called).

> What do I do? Do I use apt-get remove to get rid of the patched kernel? Do I
> do something else?

 Probably better to get a working kernel booted before you remove anything.
If you have any kernel .debs that used to work, you could try installing one
with dpkg -i.  This might end up downgrading a kernel package you have
installed, but just removing things won't help.  (Debian's package scripts
usually leave the /boot symlinks broken when I remove a kernel package, even
if it was totally obsolete and the links weren't pointing to any files from
that package...)  Your best bet is to look at the symlinks yourself, and get
them pointing to the right place.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y
Peter Cordes ;  e-mail: X(peter@cor , des.ca)